Thank you for your interest in supporting the troops and becoming a Force Behind the Forces!
USO Illinois serves the military community 24/7/365 to deliver comfort and enhance the morale and well-being of all our service members and their families. USO Illinois operates 8 USO Centers and provides community-based recreational, educational, social, and supportive services and programs.
You can apply to be a USO Center Volunteer, Special Events & Programs Volunteer, or both! If you’d like to volunteer for both categories, please apply for a USO Illinois Center position first and then ask to be added to the Special Events & Programs team.
USO Illinois Center Volunteer Information: USO Center volunteers serve on regular and recurring shifts to keep all USO Illinois Centers open for business during their hours of operation. These volunteers greet and help guests, assist with food preparation, aid in center cleanliness, support Center programs and events, and help create a welcoming environment that provides the comforts of home to military service members and their families.
USO Illinois Special Events & Programs Volunteer Information:
USO Special Events & Programs volunteers support when it’s convenient for them! These volunteers attend Yellow Ribbon events, Homecoming and Deployment Ceremonies, Concerts, Sporting Events, Military Spouse Programs, Youth Programs, USO Fundraisers, and more!
Requirements to be a USO Illinois Center or Special Events & Programs Volunteer:
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age, unless accompanied by a legal parent or guardian (parent must also apply)
- Complete and submit the online USO Volunteer Application Form (click “CONTINUE ON VOLUNTEERS.USO.ORG” below)
- Attend and successfully complete a USO Illinois Center Location Volunteer Orientation and Training Session (hosted year-round as needed at each Center) or virtual Special Events & Programs Volunteer interview and orientation
- Pass a background check as required by USO and/or Center host locations (City of Chicago and the Department of Aviation and/or Naval Station Great Lakes)
- Additional requirements may vary by location
Once you submit your application form online, a member of our staff will contact you to learn more about your interests and to share some of the exciting opportunities for current and prospective volunteers. Volunteers serve at the sole discretion of the USO and the organization can elect to engage or discontinue a volunteer’s services at any time. Completing an application form does not guarantee engagement in USO volunteer activities. Volunteer applications are accepted year-round.
Click below to register and receive more information about becoming a USO Illinois Volunteer.
Already a volunteer? Click below to view upcoming volunteer opportunities or to update your profile!Continue on volunteers.uso.org